Zoomed-out interactive map
Leicester City centre is based in the Midlands. Make your journey to Leicester City centre. Then see the details on the zoomed-in interactive map below.
East Midland Trains line and Cross Country Trains line all go to Leicester Train Station. From Leicester Train Station, walk up Waterloo Way (which then joins Tigers Way A594) to join the middle of New Walk . It only takes 1 minute to walk from Leicester Train Station.
The closest bus stops to New Walk Leciester are:
- Welford Place (on Welford Road) where you will arrive very close to Lower New Walk.
- Leicester Train Station bus stop (on London Road) where you will arrive very close to the middle of New Walk (very near the New Walk Museum and Art Gallery).
- Granville Road (off London Road) where you will arrive very close to Upper New Walk.
(Click/tap on the circle numbers and icons in the map above for more information.)
Finding New Walk Leicester
It is a 10 minute walk from the top of New Walk (Granville Road) to the bottom (Welford Place), which is 0.7 miles (1.1km).
Guide to the map below
- The thick blue line highlights the length of New Walk. New Walk splits into 2 lanes, for about 10 metres at the top of Upper New Walk (Granville Road).
- A gold circle with a white number within it , shows prominent sculptures on New Walk.
- Car parks.
- Parks with seating and benches.
- Nearby cafés.
- The Belmont Hotel (established in 1930).
More information on the prominent features marked in the map above
New Walk Leicester
The middle (half way between Upper and Lower) New Walk Leicester.
By John Sydney Carter FRBS, a Leicestershire sculptor, was unveiled outside De Montfort Hall on 23 June 2010. Commissioned by John Birch to facilitate a statue with a musical connotation to the life of his mother Lois Birch and her love of music. More information can be found on our Art and Sculpture webpage.
Benjamin Burrows plaque
Composer and inventor 1891–1966 taught in this building.
Ernest William Gimson plaque
Arts and Crafts architect and designer. Born Leicester 21st December 1864, died Sapperton 12th August 1919. Lived here 1870–1886.
Robert Hall Statue
Robert Hall’s statue was designed by John Birnie Philip and unveiled in 1871. It is made of 9 feet of white Sicilian marble, on a 12 feet pedestal of polished granite. More information can be found on our Art and Sculpture webpage.
The Clothier sculpture
This marble statue also by John Atkin was erected on New Walk in July 2010. It was commissioned by The Friends of New Walk to commemorate the legacy of the clothing industry in the City and County of Leicester. More information can be found on our Art and Sculpture webpage.
New Walk Museum and Art Gallery
Open Mon–Fri 11am–4.30pm, Sat–Sun 11am–5pm. The ground floor and 1st floor are typically have more permamnet items and exhibitions. The museum also offers a range of temporary exhibitions and events. There is also a gift and coffee shop. For more information visit their offical webpage or visit our New Walk Museum and Art Gallery webpage.
Jospeh Aloysius Hansom
1803–1882 inventor and architect, designed the central block of this building which was erected in 1836 as the Proprietary School, opened in 1837, and which re-opened as the Town Museum in 1849.
The Clicker sculpture
This bronze sculpture by John Atkin FRBS was erected on New Walk in May 2007. It was commissioned by The Friends of New Walk to commemorate the legacy of the Footwear Industry in the City and County of Leicester. More information can be found on our Art and Sculpture webpage.
The Writers’ Pavement
The pavement was initiated by The Friends of New Walk and unveiled in May 2020. It was designed by Colin Hargrave and Roy Webb, carved by Philip Langmead of Barham Stone Ltd. The pavement aims to enhance New Walk with monuments to the famous of Leicester. More information can be found on our Art and Sculpture webpage.
John Biggs statue
John Biggs (1801–1871) was a non-conformist, radical politician, who was Lord Mayor of Leicester in 1840, 1847 and again in 1857. He represented Leicester as a Liberal MP from 1856 to 1862. More information can be found on our Art and Sculpture webpage.